47 Easy Ways to Make Your Home Sell Faster
Suggestions and ideas to improve your home’s appearance and help you prepare to sell it faster!
Throughout the House
1. Open the draperies, pull up the shades, and let in the sunlight.
2. Create a positive mood. Turn on all lights, day or night, and install higher wattage light bulbs to show your home brightly. Make sure every bulb is working!!!
3. Remove clutter from each room to visually enlarge it... If you have a garage, use it to store as much as possible.
4. If you have a fireplace, highlight it in your decorating.
5. Keep your home dusted and vacuumed at all times.
6. Replace the carpet if it does not clean up well.
7. Have a family “game plan” to get the home in order quickly if necessary. (Email me at A.Long@KW.com for a copy of my Showing Prep Checklist!)
8. Air out your home for one-half hour before showings, if possible.
9. Lightly spray the house with air freshener so that it has a chance to diffuse before the buyer arrives.
10. Pack up family photos. In fact.... pack anything you do not need... If you have a garage, use it to store as much as possible.
11. Improve traffic flow through every room by removing unnecessary furniture... once again... the garage.
12. Create the feeling of a spacious entry area by using decorative accents and removing unnecessary furniture.
13. Putty over and paint any nail holes or other mishaps in the walls.
14. Paint all interior walls a neutral color to brighten the home and make it look bigger.
15. Repair or replace any loose or damaged wallpaper.
16. Clean all light bulbs and light fixtures to brighten the home..... and make sure every bulb is functional.... yes I am repeating myself.
17. Wash all windows inside and out.
18. Use plants in transitional areas of your house.
19. Make the most of your attic’s potential.
20. Remove and/or hide excess extension cords and exposed wires.
21. Open doors to areas you want potential buyers to see such as walk-in closets, pantries, attics, etc.
22. Remove all smoke and pet odors. Take pets with you during showings until your home is under contract.
23. Repair or replace banisters and handrails.
In the Kitchen
24. Microwave a small dish of vanilla twenty minutes before a showing and place it in an out-of-the-way place.
25. Highlight an eat-in area in your kitchen with a table already set for dinner.
26. The kitchen and bathrooms should always be spotlessly clean.
27. Expand your counter space by removing small appliances. The clearer your counters are, the better
In the Bedrooms
28. Create a master suite effect in your decorating.
29. Depersonalize bedrooms and decorate in a neutral scheme and color.
30. Make sure that the beds are made and the linens are clean.
31. Organize your closets, remove unnecessary items and put them in storage.
In the Bathrooms
32. Do not leave towels around and wipe down the sinks and shower areas after each use. Close toilet lids and empty trashcans.
33. Re-caulk the tub if the caulk is not sparkling white.
34. Repair or replace broken tiles in the shower/tub.
35. Replace shower curtains and keep them clean, and remove any bath items you are not using daily.
36. Put out fresh towels and decorative soaps.
37. Keep the yard mowed and raked at all times.
38. Use flowering plants to dress up the yard, walkway, and patio.
39. Remove all toys, bicycles, tools, unsightly patio furniture, and trash from the yard.
40. Porches, steps, verandas, balconies, patios, and other extensions of the house should be kept uncluttered, swept, and in good condition.
41. Paint all entrance doors.
42. Make sure the garage door opens easily. Fix and paint the garage door if necessary.
43. Clean and shine all hardware and accessories indoors and out (door knobs, knockers, lamps, mail box, address numbers, etc.)
44. Trees and shrubs should be trimmed and pruned.
45. Use a new doormat.
46. Be sure the front doorbell is in good working order.
47. Be sure the front door and screen door works perfectly.... This is the first impression... make it a good one!!
- Amy Long
KW Realty Smart